Find A Doctor Or Therapist « Tendon Disorders: A Resource of Medical Evidence & Research

Tendon Disorders: A Resource of Medical Evidence & Research

Find A Doctor Or Therapist

The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine has a "Find-A-Doc" feature that allows you to locate a sports medicine physician near you. Most of the physicians are primary care trained (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, etc.) with further training to become knowledgeable in sports, physical fitness and conditions that affect movement of the body.

The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons has a section to find an orthopaedist near you. Orthopedic surgeons traditionally care for musculoskeletal issues, primarily through surgical management. There are also 22 Board of Specialty Societies for orthopedic surgeons who sub-specialize. These Societies may help you locate an orthopaedic surgeon who has a particular specialty in knees, hands, feet, etc. There are no sub-specialties in tendon disorders.

The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine has a section to find an AOSSM doctor. These are orthopedic surgeons sub-specializing in sports related injuries.

The American Academy of Family Physicians has guidelines for choosing a family doctor that can be helpful.

The American Osteopathic Association has a section on their website where you can locate a Osteopathic physician practicing in a specialty you are interested in. Osteopathic physicians (D.O.s) are licensed to prescribe medicine and practice in specialty areas, and add to that an emphasis on treating and diagnosing the patient as a whole person, rather than focusing on a particular area of the body or just a particular condition in isolation. They also use their hands to help diagnose and treat patients. There are also state and regional osteopathic associations that may be helpful in locating a physician.

The American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine has a section to find a sports medicine D.O.

The American College of Physicians is the official organization of internal medicine physicians (they treat adults and adult diseases, and have advanced training for more complex issues – often they are called the "doctor’s doctor"). The website also contains a description of the sub-specialties of internal medicine.

The American College of Pediatricians gives an overview of the goals and concerns of pediatric physicians (who care for children through young adulthood).

The American Physical Therapy Association has a find a PT section that will help you locate a physical therapist.

The American Occupational Therapy Association is the official organization of occupational therapists, who focus on arms and the upper part of the body and adaptation strategies to live a full life.